Thursday 7 August 2014

the better way?



Sometimes when you follow the same routine everyday you only see the flaws.

Having just returned from Chicago where I opted to take the L into the city from the airport, mostly to save a few dollars on cab fare, I found a lot of familiarity and a few differences but mostly a comfort in knowing the all transit systems (or at least the few I’ve encountered) suffer from the same issues.

The truth about the modern transit system is that it isn't.  And now its summer, - the most volatile season there is - inside. 

Hopefully as people opt out of cars systems will change but for now it a mash of antiquated practices, outdated or nonexistent technology and bureaucratic choices that seem nonsensical.

Let me start by stating that I do not believe that a transit system executive who does not use the system routinely will ever get 'it'. Trying to 'envision' issues from an ivory tower is where so many bad decisions get made.

During summer in Ontario, if you’re lucky it's a sunny but pleasant day.  You relish getting to be in your shirt sleeves and sandals.  Alternatively it’s muggy and humid and the temperature is over 40 Celsius, or it’s raining maniacally.  Then you get on the bus and are stunned by the A/C into the worst thing ever - the summer cold.

I have asked many times over the years if there is a policy for A/C use on the TTC.

I have never received a straight answer.

And if you take transit, you know, there seem to be two settings on a TTC bus.  Off.  And stun.

And here I am thinking a standard setting of 25 Celsius would be great.  Instead I'm carrying a sweater around all summer because it's uncomfortable sitting in a refrigerator.

Why not open a window you ask.  And while that's a splendid idea the new low floor bus designs only have windows that open at the very top, out of reach to me at 5'4" but also mostly only capable of blowing a breeze across the ceiling of the bus.

The alternative is that the A/C isn’t on at all, and now you’re sitting in a human torture device for 45 minutes.

I’m somewhat convinced that not having the A/C on at all, and on a bus with no access to windows, somehow contradicts my basic human rights.

This is the same for the subway as it is for the bus, and the streetcar.  Although on the streetcar there is no A/C, but then again the windows open at face level so at least you can catch a good stiff 40 C breeze if the car is moving.

Don’t think another form of travel will be better.  The plane I took to Chicago was set so cool that when the back of my legs hit the vinyl seat, I jumped.  However it must have been a slightly better quality vinyl than the Greyhound because I wasn’t completely damp from sticking to the seat.  But on that Greyhound bus trip I had to wear my ever present summer sweater because the A/C was set so cold, but was uncomfortably hot when any part of my body touched the seat so the point that I wondered if my clothes were wet when I stood up.  My friend meeting me assured me it wasn’t the case.  Having said that, why vinyl Greyhound?  There must be a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment