Saturday 23 August 2014

revlon we have a problem: or how the great lip gloss embargo of 2011 failed



A self professed make up junkie since I ‘borrowed’ some lilac eyeshadow from my Barbie head box and added some purloined Great Lash mascara.  Fortunately some level headed adults helped and so my I never really did go crazy, unless you consider continued use of blue sparkly eyeliner, crazy.  Considering it was the 80’s and I was known as the girl in the bright pink lipstick, I think I fared decently.  And since there’s really no photographic evidence, you’ll just have to believe me.

Around 2011 I was lip gloss shamed, and to a certain degree, my shamer wasn’t too far off.  I did have a purse full of very similar variations of a light brown, somewhat lavender gloss, along with several varieties of rosy pink and the occasional darker copper.  And so I decided that maybe it was time to finish up a few of those before adding to the collection.  A sort of conscious consumerism.  Apologies to the anti-Goopers in the crowd.

And for awhile it worked. 

All was well until the makeup companies came up with what, for me, was a dangerous combination.  Make up, in a box. 

Spring 2014 Box from SDM line Quo

Not new you say, well no, but something about the highly stylistic boxes, and myriad of colours, caught me, and I fell hard for that particular marketing scheme.

Fall 2013 Box from SDM Line Quo

So here’s where I admit a certain proclivity for boxes as well. And apparently eyeshadow.

Urban Decay Electric Palette - but can you blame me!

And now, we have an entirely different problem.  More eye shadow than one person can reasonably use in a certain span of time.  Say the next 10 years.  And so now, again, I try to make a conscious attempt to control myself.

Apparently I already announced this in January, so even a public declaration wasn’t enough to stop me.  But now, especially after a trip to the US where I was able to purchase a few items I cannot here, I have decided to be sterner with myself.  Since the truth of the matter is, really, at the end of the day, there’s no real need for a self imposed embargo - I probably already have whatever it is they’re offering.

1 comment:

  1. erm... i just pulled out some fall colours from my nail polish bags, yes plural, and the counter's not covered, but there are a decent number of nail polish options on my teeny little vanity. a bit of defense, i didn't buy them all since january, many of them but not all of them. i don't recall ever actually finishing a bottle of nail polish, so there's that. and i think i found a gift box of 20 quo mini's for $20 over the summer, so added a lot all at once. needless to say i'm going to need another set of hands to wear all these colours. or make that feet.

    ReplyDelete