Monday 20 May 2013

to e or not to e?



Believe it or not I’m not entirely sold on internet shopping, which when you know that I consider shopping my ‘cardio’ seems a bit off.  Mostly I wonder if the items for sale are as good as they appear online.  In past experiences I’ve been nailed for random import fees, seriously it was a different rate based on the day I ordered.  We’ve all heard the stories of excess shipping across the border, among the many things.  

I’ve had success ordering books, CD’s, DVD’s and even the occasional kitchen appliance online, but you pretty much know what you are getting, no big surprises.  Now if my favourite grocery store would get themselves on line, along with my favourite drug store I’d order from them in a heartbeat and save myself a load of time and aggravation and yet those particular needs go unfulfilled.  And yes I know we have an online grocery store in Ontario but I’ve never quite been able to switch to their ‘brand’. 

Of course the other downside to going online is that I have a particular friend who I like to go shopping with.  We get our girl time in, I get my cardio trying things on and I have a trusted companion who will tell me I look like a deranged school teacher in that.  She’ll also push me to try something out of my comfort zone so I’m reluctant to give up that.

In the name of curiosity I gave it a whirl, trying, specifically, online clothing and shoe shopping to see if I was missing anything.  First go was an impulse purchase, a dress from Sears, I guessed the size, zoomed in on the very blurry ‘fabric swatch’ and expected the worst.  And it turned out I got myself a pretty cute $30 dress that fit.  I had to pay a nonrefundable $4 for the privilege of picking it up at the local store, but otherwise it would have been twice that for delivery.  So while I’m stoked at my find I’m wondering why I have to pay for the processing.  I don’t have to do so when I shop at the store and I didn’t get delivery.  I suppose it’s based on the old catalogue model and if I was in rural Ontario I might not mind, but considering the 2 way TTC travel to go to the store I’m not sold on the nonrefundable ‘delivery’ fee.

Next item was a pair of shoes from the The Shoe Company, the discount face of Town Shoes.  I felt confident because I already owned the same pair in another colour.  This time I could get free delivery to the store or pay for delivery when my order was under $80.  I chose to pick up as there was a location easily accessible to me.  In spite of the fact that it took about 5 days to take delivery the transaction was pretty smooth.  And now I have a new pair of spiffy blue Converse.

Having recently tried on most of the store at Ricki’s, on one of those ventures with the good friend who tells me like it is, I had decided I didn’t want to pay full price for a couple of things.  So when they went on sale for 40% off I jumped online and made my discounted purchases.  They offered a special flat rate of $4 for ground shipping from the Prairies, although with my bill over $100 I would have thought it was free, but I was wrong.  However the package showed up within 2 days which satisfied some of the instant that I prefer in my gratification.  What did through me off was that the products were still in their ‘shipped from far away’ plastic, which was very off-putting.

With my credit card getting full, I tried one more place on the advice of a friend who had tipped me off about Montreal retailer Simon’s.  Their online selection seemed decent, prices where good and they offer free shipping over $50.  I bought a few things, and only had to return one for a size exchange.  Their site offered something interesting, the composition of each item so you could determine if items had stretch or not.  The website didn’t offer exchanges per say but within minutes of asking for assistance via their online chat feature I had an e-mail in my inbox with the return label, no questions asked.  My return was prompt, and I was e-mailed upon the receipt of my return.  Their products were compactly but nicely packaged, with the clothing folded neatly, wrapped in tissue to keep it apart from the shoes.  On the replacement order I asked for my purchased to be in a free gift box, just to see what that comes like.  All in all for a retailer I have not had personal experience with, I was impressed.

So where does this all go?  I’ll still always want to wander the mall with my friend if only for the camaraderie and free fashion advice.  And nothing will ever replace the act of feeling the quality of fabric and the look of the colour in person.  But I will admit I’ll take a second look at online.  So far as the budget will allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment