Wednesday 28 October 2015

#sidebar - amazingly odd marketing - this week - uber and your local pet rescue

At first blush this seems cute. Who doesn't love a squirmy little fluff ball? Well there are people but they're wrong.

Full disclosure, I'm a cat person. In fact there's a little grey (rescue) cat waiting for a pat on the head as I type this.

BUT.

Cat's aren't overly fond of car rides or places they're unfamiliar with - if you've ever taken a ride with a wailing cat you'll know this. Uber is about to come into a court with the city and various existing cab companies. Clearly this is a stunt. And, again, at first blush, getting pets adopted is the ultimate goal but is this the best way to do this?

I was among those who lauded the decision to stop pet store sales of any animals that are not rescue animals. Yes it means that you have to seek out pets for adoption, but it stops those impulse pet purchases which might have arguably been abandoned or required rescuing at some point. But I am really going out on a limb - having no data to back me up.

So will I be ordering a cat to cuddle? No. I already have one, no matter how much he objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment